A brush cutter, also known as a weed trimmer, edger, edger or motor trimmer is a machine used in gardening work.
It is used to cut weeds and the like and to go over places where a lawnmower cannot access.
There is a wide variety of types of brush cutters, these can be classified by engine, by type and more characteristics.
How It Works
They basically have a motor, which can be combustion or electric located in the highest part of the machine. The motor is connected to a bar (straight or inclined) in which the cutting system of the brushcutter is located at the opposite end of the motor.
They also have a grip system, it can be delta type (small grip) or double handlebar (also known more commonly as bike / motorcycle handlebar). This second type of handlebar facilitates the distribution of weight and therefore the handling of the machine.
Many brushcutters have anti-vibration systems that facilitate use and also have a harness, which also provides better ergonomics. Finally, the cutting unit can be of various types.
From nylon thread of different types through the cutting heads of different tips (3 points, 4 points and 80 points for example).
The latter are designed for tougher tasks such as cutting shrubs, clearing forests, and dense, tangled vegetation.
What to consider when buying a brushcutter for tall grass?
The most important point when choosing our new brushcutter will be to decide which approach will have the brushcutter, what kind of use will be given, as we will have to choose a powerful, functional and efficient tool that suits our needs and the Solvent without problem, besides that it is a quality machine, robust, reliable, durable, etc.
In addition, we must assess what type of surface we will usually clear, as well as the size of that surface to have a tool that can do that and much more, plus for each function or type of vegetation we must acquire a different head, disk or saw to get the most out of it.
- Simple Approaches - The most common approaches to electric and cordless brushcutters, in addition to the more basic small displacement petrol trimmers, tend to be bordered o profiled, about grass, shrubs, walls, hedges.
- Grass mowing – It will not be as precise as a lawnmower or as uniform, but on certain occasions, and especially depending on the surface, it will give better finishes or at least much faster and more efficient.
- Weeding – Similar to the previous step but with “complications”, that is, the presence of tall grasses, convoluted thickets, brambles, weeds, sticks and twigs that complicate the work.
It is also convenient to choose light tools, and accompany them with a harness, which makes our work even more enjoyable.
It is not the same to clear wet grass, to clear bushes, brambles, bushes with branches and others ... For this reason, for each approach we need a different power.
Professional jobs will usually require high powers, while individuals with simple tasks do not need too much power.
Thanks to the power (measured in W or kW) is related to the price, it will be easy to guess which tool we need, although perhaps interpreting the power is somewhat complex.
You have to take into account the W as the main power and compare it with different models, although it is not everything, you also have to take into account the displacement, the maximum speed that the tool shaft will take in RPM (revolutions per minute).
Last but not least, the head to use, as this will decide the field in which the tool will work especially well.
The powers usually range from 300 W to 2300 W, the most common displacements range from 24 cc to 65 cc with exceptions.
The maximum speeds of the axis of the tools between 5000 RPM to 9500 RPM (revolutions per minute) usually.
Type of engine (Power), Type of Transmission and autonomy
- Usually four-stroke gasoline engine brushcutters require mixing with oil and fuel, they consume more, more noise and vibrations but more power.
- They are the most recommended for professionals due to their greater power, designed for any type of vegetation, even with drawbacks such as resistant thickets, branched bushes, complex brambles, etc.
- Resistant to long days of intensive use, they are also somewhat more expensive, more polluting, weigh more and require gasoline.
- The electric ones are recommended for small spaces with an electrical outlet and for cutting grass.
- Designed for simple jobs with low or medium use. They are the cheapest, but the least powerful, easy and cheap maintenance, light but depend on a cable that has to be connected to electricity.
Electric Battery Brushcutters
- Perfect for cutting grass and certain more complex aspects with the right head.
- They are equivalent to an intermediate point, they are used for simple and complex jobs with more or less ease, being more efficient than cable ones although less than gasoline ones, they are powerful as well as cheap, light, they only depend on their battery and autonomy this.
Transmission of clippers: The transmission determines the wearing comfort and durability of the adora rim.
- Rigid: Usually in the most professional machines. More durable and comfortable, sometimes removable, to facilitate transport and even integrate different heads and accessories, which convert the machine into multifunction (hedge trimmer, pruner, shaker).
- Flexible: Usually in small displacement machines, much simpler, affordable and lower range.
Whether we buy a gasoline or battery mower, it is advisable to take a look at its autonomy, since the most advisable thing is to have the most complex activity that we are going to do, add a plus, and look for that autonomy, since this will get us some tanks and batteries as light as possible.
The head is as important as the power of the machine, since it enables us, facilitates efficiencies and improves aspects when performing certain tasks, since the heads allow a tool to be specialized in one orientation.
It is important when choosing a brushcutter to take into account and understand what accessories exist and which ones suit us:
- Usually they are all made of Nylon, ideal for cutting medium and tall grass.
- It is convenient to observe the number of threads, since it is usual to find heads of two threads, three threads y four threads, In addition to seeing the diameter offered by the heads and the length of the threads, some heads even allow regulating the length of the thread as it is worn.
- Serrated or Saw Disc:
- Round: it is the most common. It has large varieties of diameters and is valid for all kinds of heads. Being the simplest, it is recommended for grass.
- Square: It is the noisiest, but it is recommended for tall and rebellious vegetation as well as for grass, suitable for resistant bushes, there are different diameters.
- Star: Most effective against tall, tangled brush, sturdy branches, and dry grass, usually not very wide diameters
- 8 saw teeth
- Blade type Disc: There are different numbers of points, usually steel.
- 3 Teeth and 4 Teeth: Designed for tall grasses, rushes, brambles and convoluted bushes. They can be sharpened, with which their useful life is greater.
- Disc Type Blade or zarcero disc: indicated for brambles.
How is a brushcutter different from a trimmer?
The main difference between a brush cutter and a trimmer is that the latter is much smaller and lighter, designed to be used in small gardens.
They are ideal for treating spaces where cuts at different heights are required (for example, areas where we have climbers and the like).
They are larger, more professional machines, designed to work in larger spaces and most allow changing the head to use one more adapted to the terrain to be treated.
Which brushcutter is better?
Two-stroke, four-stroke, electric or battery?
According to our needs and preferences. The electric and battery ones are generally less powerful but they are also quieter and vibrate less.
These characteristics make them the favorites of the most novice users or those who simply require less power to take care of their garden.
The two-strokes are usually the most common, they have a more than correct power. For professionals we recommend the use of four-stroke brushcutters.
These motors are more powerful and have a longer useful life, ideal characteristics for this sector of users.
What do I need to use my brushcutter?
The operator must compulsorily wear the appropriate protection measures. This is a crash helmet, grille or screen.
Likewise, we recommend the use of appropriate clothing that provides some protection to the user with respect to possible impacts due to projection.
As a general rule, the brushcutter should not be used if there is someone within a radius of 10-15 meters from the operator.
Sale of brush cutters
Usually, electric battery brush cutters, although there are also gasoline ones, are the cheapest and most affordable, these are perfect for casual individuals who want a functional machine.
Although personally we recommend a slightly higher outlay, because of how cheap they are and how highly appreciated they are in the sector, with how highly functional they become and their long useful life.
Which come to be normal brushcutters, but on wheels, similar to lawnmowers but for much more complex terrain.
What do you offer Intermaquinas Why buy my brushcutter here?
We have thirty years of experience in the sector and we have the Confianza Online quality seal. We also have our own workshop with highly qualified personnel and trained by the brands themselves.
In our catalog you will find different types of brush cutters. Always depending on what type of vegetation is going to be removed, it will be necessary to choose between a brush cutter of thread or one of disc.
With a good machine and a good material, the experience of using the machine will be of great satisfaction.
Special for harder weeds or weeds. With this type disc installed in the head you can cut the hardest herbs or that are in the process of hardness. In Intermaquinas you will find different discs of brush cutters.
Discs for cutting small bushes or even mountains. Multi-tooth discs are made for cutting tall grass, together, and even brush.
The backpack ones are made to carry the motor of this on the back. In this way we can work more peacefully without having to complain about transporting a heavy product.
Brush cutter for mowing the lawn
The best brush cutter to cut the lawn will be the one that allows the user to work correctly. The one that offers a very good solution in terms of value for money.
To take care of your lawn, if you are a professional, you will undoubtedly have to choose a gasoline brush cutter but if you are an environmentally conscious person, you can buy an electric brush cutter.
Professional brush cutters
Professional brushcutters are made to last for long periods of time. You will find two-stroke gasoline brush cutters and four-stroke gasoline brush cutters in the catalog.
This last option is made for those users who are working for several hours and need good autonomy.
These machines offer the option of including accessories and it should be noted that they consume less than the previous ones. The 4-stroke professional brushcutters include 2 tanks, on the one hand one for gasoline and on the other one for oil for mixing.
Professional multi-purpose brush cutters
The multifunction for professionals are made to offer maximum autonomy. Always offer the best performance to the user with excellent accessories and functions. Here you will find a wide catalog of special multifunction brush cutters for professionals.